Points is rewards program, currently offered exclusively in Japan. Points is one of our most strategic initiatives in Japan where a sizable segment of customers is passionate about points. Points aims to drive business growth and customer engagement across consumer (e.g., books, electronics, sporting goods, fashion, food…) and digital products (e.g., Kindle books).
We are looking for a seasoned leader for a team of Software Development Engineers, owning points services and features on our website across all platforms (desktop, mobile browser, mobile shopping app). A successful candidate will have an established background in developing customer-facing experiences, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment.
Your key responsibilities include:
· Responsible for the overall systems development life cycle
· Develop the long-term strategy for your programs and translate that into an achievable road map/action plan
· Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments
· Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment
· Management of departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, and enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team
· Work closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
· Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for our leaders:
· Exhibits excellent judgment
· Hires and develops great people
· Has relentlessly high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo)
· Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business or the technology
· Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
· Has passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others
· Strong results orientation
· Thinks big Software Development Manager, Amazon Points
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related fields
· 8+ years of industry experience
· 4+ years of management experience
· Strong technical passion and depth. OO and System Design skills required.
· Proficiency in a major programming language such as (C++, Java, Python, Perl) and SQL, NOSQL in a Unix based environment.
· Database modelling skill
· Demonstrated success in delivering scalable, distributed, service oriented architecture
· Proven track record to raise the bar, recruit top talents, effectively manage performance and motivate
· Experience directly managing 6-10 software engineers
· Superior presentation and written communication skills in English
· Master's degree in Computer Science
· Experience with eCommerce and points or similar loyalty program is beneficial
· Written and Spoken Japanese preferred